Family Law Glossary of Terms

Affidavit – a written statement in which the facts stated are sworn or affirmed to be true.

Answer – written response by a respondent that states whether he or she admits (agrees with) or denies (disagrees with) the allegations in the petition. Any allegations not specifically denied are considered to be admitted.

Appeal – asking a district court of appeal to review the decision in your case. There are strict procedural and time requirements for filing an appeal.

Asset – everything owned by you or your spouse including property, cars, furniture, bank accounts, jewelry, life insurance policies, businesses, or retirement plans. An asset may be marital or nonmarital, but that distinction is for the court to determine if you and your spouse do not agree.

Attorney – a person with special education and training in the field of law who is a member in good standing of The Florida Bar and licensed to practice law in Florida. An attorney is the only person who is allowed to give you legal advice. An attorney may file your case and represent you in court or just advise you of your rights before you file your own case. In addition to advising you of your rights, an attorney may tell you what to expect and help prepare you for court. In family law matters, you are not entitled to a court-appointed lawyer, like a public defender in a criminal case. However, legal assistance is often available for those who are unable to hire a private attorney. You may consult the yellow pages of the telephone directory for a listing of legal aid or lawyer referral services in your area, or ask your local clerk of court or family law intake staff what services are available in your area. You may also obtain information from the Florida Supreme Courts Internet site located at
back to top

Bond – money paid to the clerk of court by one party in a case to be held and paid to an enjoined party in the event that the first party causes loss or damage of property as a result of wrongfully enjoining the other party.
back to top

Central Governmental Depository – the office of the clerk of court that is responsible for collecting and disbursing court-ordered alimony and child support payments. The depository also keeps payment records and files judgments if support is not paid.

Certificate of Service – a document that must be filed whenever a form you are using does not contain a statement for you to fill in showing to whom you are sending copies of the form. Florida Supreme Court Approved Family Law Form 12.914 is the certificate of service form and contains additional instructions.

Certified Copy – a copy of an order or final judgment, certified by the clerk of the circuit court to be an authentic copy.

Certified Mail – mail which requires the receiving party to sign as proof that they received it.

Child Support – money paid from one parent to the other for the benefit of their dependent or minor child(ren).

Clerk of the Circuit Court – elected official in whose office papers are filed, a case number is assigned, and case files are maintained. The clerks office usually is located in the county courthouse.

Constructive Service – notification of the other party by newspaper publication or posting of notice at designated places when the other party cannot be located for personal service. You may also be able to use constructive service when the other party lives in another state. Constructive service is also called service by publication.€ However, when constructive service is used, the relief the Court may grant is limited. For more information on service, see the instructions for Florida Family Law Rules of Procedure Forms 12.910(a) and 12.913(b) and Florida Supreme Court Approved Family Law Form 12.913(a).

Contested Issues – any or all issues upon which the parties are unable to agree and which must be resolved by the judge at a hearing or trial.

Contingent Asset – an asset that you may receive or get later, such as income, tax refund, accrued vacation or sick leave, a bonus, or an inheritance.

Contingent Liability – a liability that you may owe later, such as payments for lawsuits, unpaid taxes, or debts that you have agreed or guaranteed to pay if someone else does not.

Counterpetition – a written request to the court for legal action which is filed by a respondent after being served with a petition.

Custody Order a judgment or order incorporating a Parenting Plan is a child custody determination for the purposes of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, the International Child Abduction Remedies Act, 42 U.S.C. ss. 11601 et seq., the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act, and the Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction enacted at the Hague on October 25, 1980.
back to top

Default – a failure of a party to respond to the pleading of another party. This failure to respond may allow the court to decide the case without input from the party who did not appear or respond.

Delinquent – late.

Dependent Child(ren) – child(ren) who depend on their parent(s) for support either because they are under the age of 18, they have a mental or physical disability that prevents them from supporting themselves, or they are in high school while between the ages of 18 and 19 and are performing in good faith with reasonable expectation of graduation before the age of 19.

Deputy Clerk – an employee of the office of the clerk of court, which is usually located in the county courthouse or a branch of the county courthouse.

Dissolution of Marriage – divorce; a court action to end a marriage.
back to top

Electronic Communication Contact, other than face-to-face contact, facilitated by tools such as telephones, electronic mail or e-mail, webcams, video-conferencing equipment and software or other wired or wireless technologies, or other means of communication to supplement face-to-face contact between a parent and that parents minor child.

Enjoined – prohibited by the court from doing a specific act.

Ex Parte – communication with the judge by only one party. In order for a judge to speak with either party, the other party must have been properly notified and have an opportunity to be heard. If you have something you wish to tell the judge, you should ask for a hearing or file information in the clerk of courts office with certification that a copy was sent to the other party.
back to top

Family Law Intake Staff – a courts employee(s) who is (are) available to assist you in filing a family law case. Family law intake staff are not attorneys and cannot give legal advice. They may only assist you with filling out the form(s). Your local clerks office can tell you if your county has such assistance available.

Filing – delivering a petition, response, motion, or other pleading in a court case to the clerk of courts office.

Filing Fee – an amount of money, set by law, that the petitioner must pay when filing a case. If you cannot afford to pay the fee, you must file an Application for Determination of Civil Indigent Status, to ask the clerk to file your case without payment of the fee. This form can be obtained from the clerks office.

Final Hearing – trial in your case.

Financial Affidavit – a sworn statement that contains information regarding your income, expenses, assets, and liabilities.

Final Judgment – a written document signed by a judge and recorded in the clerk of the circuit courts office that contains the judges decision in your case.
back to top

Guardian ad Litem – a neutral person who may be appointed by the court to evaluate or investigate your childs situation and file a report with the court about what is in the best interests of your child(ren). Guardians do not work for€ either party. The guardian may interview the parties, visit their homes, visit the child(ren)s school(s) and speak with teachers, or use other resources to make their recommendation.
back to top

Hearing – a legal proceeding before a judge or designated officer (general magistrate or hearing officer) on a motion.

Health Insurance – coverage under a fee-for-service arrangement, health care maintenance organization, or preferred provider organization, and other types of coverage available to either parent, under which medical services could be provided to a minor or dependent child.
back to top

Judge – an elected official who is responsible for deciding matters on which you and the other parties in your case are unable to agree. A judge is a neutral person who is responsible for ensuring that your case is resolved in a manner which is fair, equitable, and legal. A judge is prohibited by law from giving you or the other party any legal advice, recommendations, or other assistance and may not talk to either party unless both parties are present, represented, or at a properly scheduled hearing.

Judicial Assistant – the judges personal staff assistant.
back to top

Liabilities – everything owed by you or your spouse, including mortgages, credit cards, or car loans. A liability may be marital or nonmarital, but that distinction is for the court to determine if you and your spouse do not agree.

Lump Sum Alimony – money ordered to be paid by one spouse to another in a limited number of payments, often a single payment.
back to top

Mandatory Disclosure – items that must be disclosed by both parties except those exempted from disclosure by Florida Family Law Rule 12.285.

Marital Asset – generally, anything that you and/or your spouse acquired or received (by gift or purchase) during the marriage. For example, something you owned before your marriage may be nonmarital. An asset may only be determined to be marital by agreement of the parties or determination of the judge.

Marital Liability – generally, any debt that you and/or your spouse incurred during the marriage. A debt may only be determined to be nonmarital by agreement of the parties or determination of the judge.

Mediator – a person who is trained and certified to assist parties in reaching an agreement before going to court. Mediators do not take either partys side and are not allowed to give legal advice. They are only responsible for helping the parties reach an agreement and putting that agreement into writing. In some areas, mediation of certain family law cases may be required before going to court.

Modification – a change made by the court in an order or final judgment.

Motion – a request made to the court, other than a petition.
back to top

No Contact – a court order directing a party not speak to, call, send mail to, visit, or go near his or her spouse, ex-spouse, child(ren), or other family member.

Nonlawyer – a person who is not a member in good standing of The Florida Bar.

Nonmarital Asset – generally, anything owned separately by you or your spouse. An asset may only be determined to be nonmarital by either agreement of the parties or determination of the judge.

Nonmarital Liability – generally, any debt that you or your spouse incurred before your marriage or since your separation. A debt may only be determined to be nonmarital by either agreement of the parties or determination of the judge.

Nonparty – a person who is not the petitioner or respondent in a court case.

Notary Public – a person authorized to witness signatures on court related forms.
back to top

Obligee – a person to whom money, such as child support or alimony, is owed.

Obligor – a person who is ordered by the court to pay money, such as child support or alimony.

Order – a written decision signed by a judge and filed in the clerk of the circuit courts office, that contains the judges decision on part of your case, usually on a motion.

Original Petition – see Petition.
back to top

arenting Course – a class that teaches parents how to help their child(ren) cope with divorce and other family issues.

Parenting Plan a document created to govern the relationship between the parents relating to the decisions that must be made regarding the minor child(ren). The Parenting Plan must contain a time-sharing schedule for the parents and child(ren) and shall address the issues concerning the minor child(ren). The issues concerning the minor child(ren) may include, but are not limited to, the child(ren)s education, health care, physical, social, and emotional well-being. In creating the Plan, all circumstances between the parents, including their historic relationship, domestic violence, and other factors must be taken into consideration. The Parenting Plan must be developed and agreed to by the parents and approved by the court. If the parents cannot agree to a Parenting Plan, or if the parents agreed to a plan that is not approved by the court, a parenting plan will be established by the court with or without the use of parenting plan recommendations.

Parenting Plan Recommendation A nonbinding recommendation concerning one or more elements of a parenting plan made by a court-appointed mental health practitioner or other professional designated pursuant to either section 61.20 or 61.401, Florida Statutes, or Florida Family Law Rule of Procedure 12.363.

Party – a person involved in a court case, either as a petitioner or respondent.

Paternity Action – A lawsuit used to determine whether a designated individual is the father of a specific child or children.

Payor – an employer or other person who provides income to an obligor.

Permanent Alimony – spousal support ordered to be paid at a specified, periodic rate until modified by a court order, the death of either party, or the remarriage of the Obligee, whichever occurs first.

Personal Service – when a summons and a copy of a petition (or other pleading) that has been filed with the court are delivered by a deputy sheriff or private process server to the other party. Personal service is required for all petitions and supplemental petitions.

Petition – a written request to the court for legal action, which begins a court case.

Petitioner – the person who files a petition that begins a court case.

Pleading – a formal written statement of exactly what a party wants the court to do in a lawsuit or court action.

Pro Se Litigant – a person who appears in court without the assistance of a lawyer.

Pro Se Coordinator – see Family Law Intake Staff.
back to top

Rehabilitative Alimony – spousal support ordered to be paid for a limited period of time to allow one of the parties an opportunity to complete a plan of education or training, according to a rehabilitative plan accepted by the court, so that he or she may better support himself or herself.

Respondent – the person who is served with a petition requesting some legal action against him or her.
back to top

Scientific Paternity Testing – a medical test to determine who is the father of a child.

Service – the delivery of legal documents to a party. This must be accomplished as directed by Florida Family Law Rules 12.070 and 12.080.

Shared Parental Responsibility – an arrangement under which both parents have full parental rights and responsibilities for their child(ren), and the parents make major decisions affecting the welfare of the child(ren) jointly. Shared Parental Responsibility is presumptive in Florida.

Sole Parental Responsibility – a parenting arrangement under which the responsibility for the minor child(ren) is given to one parent by the court, with or without rights of time-sharing to the other parent.

Supervised Time-Sharing – a parenting arrangement under which time-sharing between a parent and his or her child(ren) is supervised by either a friend, family member, or a supervised visitation center.

Supplemental Petition – a petition that may be filed by either party after the judge has made a decision in a case and a final judgment or order has been entered. For example, a supplemental petition may be used to request that the court modify the previously entered final judgment or order.
back to top

Time-Sharing Schedule a timetable that must be included in the Parenting Plan that specifies the time, including overnights and holidays, that a minor child or children will spend with each parent. The time-sharing schedule shall either be developed and agreed to by the parents of a minor child or children and i approved by the court, or established by the court if the parents cannot agree, or if their agreed-upon schedule is not approved by the court.

Trial – the final hearing in a contested case.
back to top

Uncontested – any and all issues on which the parties are able to agree and which are part of a marital settlement agreement.
back to top

Close Popup

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By agreeing you accept the use of cookies in accordance with our cookie policy.

Close Popup

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This